Sunday, April 10, 2011

Why be a Naturopath?

It is spring cleaning time at my home, and one of the things I desperately need done is to wash my house.  I live at the edge of a forest (that feels like a tropical rainforest at times) and so I get a lot of stuff on my house.  A friend of mine came over and we walked around the house.  He told me never to powerwash my home.  It has siding and a powerwasher would force water into places I didn't want - places that wouldn't allow for the water to dry - and this would cause warping, mold, mildew... yeah.  All that nasty stuff.  So, like the good little researcher I am, I went on line to see if I could find an alternative to the harsh abrasive chemicals used to clean homes.  Oxygen bleach was my solution.  Oxygen bleach is not made with chlorine but with a natural ingredient.  I had to go to Lowe's for paint and some other supplies, so I checked on oxygen bleach.

Recommended reading for Oxygen Bleach: http://oxygenbleach.homestead.com/files/

The young lad that was helping me asked why I was specifically looking for oxygen bleach.  I told him I was a Naturopath and that I tried to use no chemicals at all - in/on my house, in/on my yard, and medically.  He was intrigued.  The chemicals used in/on your yard and home - where do they go?  Do you care?  Do you even think about it?  Those chemicals go into the water source and soil that grows the food that we eat.  It goes into the food that all animals eat - even the ones we slaughter and eat.  Yes, I am just one person - but if I am kinder to this planet and I educate others about the need to be kinder, I hope I am working towards a better future for my kids. 

All the chemicals used your home - same questions... do you know where they go?  Think of the last time someone cleaned with harsh chemicals in your home and you waved your hand over your nose or coughed because the chemicals were so strong... where do they go?  THEY ARE STILL THERE!!  They are still affecting you and your family.  You breathe them in every single day!  Most of our homes are more toxic than a metropolitan city like Chicago or Detroit.  You only think those areas are worse because you can see the toxicity with smog. 

Recommended reading toxic homes: http://www.naturalsolutionsmag.com/article-display/15613/subTopicID/173/Is-Your-Home-Toxic

And finally, the chemicals you feed your body.  You are what you eat.  I hope by now, we agree on this point.  You must feed your body healthy foods in order to remain healthy.  Your body is able to heal itself if you take care of it - nurture it.  The chemicals that you put into your body as a "quick fix" affect more than just the immediate sickness you want it to fight.  Let me explain.  When you get stung by a bee or a mosquito your body swells up to some degree.  What is happening is that your body is sending the appropriate antibodies to that area - histamine, more blood, etc... Your body knows exactly what is needed to fight the intruder. The same is true with all illnesses and diseases.  When you introduce a foreign substance into your body to "help" fight the illness, you are also fighting the good cells - making them weaker - less able to fight the next illness.  If you are chronically sick, your immune system has been compromised and needs to be strengthened.  Feed your body and give it back the power to heal itself.

I am very passionate about my lifestyle, and I tend to hop on my soap box a bit too much sometimes... but I would love to hear from you... where has your path taken you?  Blessings - E

No comments:

Post a Comment