Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Migraines and AGED Cheeses

I am always searching for triggers for my migraines and found this article particularly interesting.  I am lactose intolerant and the only cheeses I can eat with minimal reaction are hard cheeses - this is because the lactase has been broken down already with the aging process of the cheese.  But I have found over the years, that I eat less and less cheese and my migraines have lessened as well.

Aged cheeses (Parmesan, Romano, Asiago, Cheddar, Swiss, Gouda, Provolone, Bleu, Brie, and Gorgonzola) contain a compound called tyramine, which is formed during the aging process - this many doctors believe is the culprit for migraines. 

To test for this sensitivity, remove all cheeses from your diet for a period of time and see if your migraines decrease.  And remember it is AGED cheese that is the issue not HARD cheeses.

No comments:

Post a Comment