Friday, April 8, 2011

Chemical-free Yards

I get harassed a lot about the fact that I don't use herbicides and pesticides or any other chemicals on or around my yard.  These chemicals affect every aspect of your life - the plants you put into your body, the air you breathe, the water you drink, and the meat you eat.  They affect your skin, your environment, and your overall health.  Those that believe that the chemicals in your life are just as natural and good for you as natural living haven't been paying attention to the change in disease over the past 50 years.  Ok.. off my soapbox...

Here is my philosophy - I love the earth and want it to be enjoyed by my great- great- great-grandchildren.  I want them to be able to see the vibrant greens of a forest, hear the sounds of a multitude of birds from their window, sea the incredible aquas of the ocean, and enjoy the vast array of foods we have today.  In order to do my part, I try to live as minimal a footprint as possible.  I try and nurture the earth as much as I can - even though I know there is yet more I could be doing. 

I live at the edge of a great forest - I have huge evergreen and oak trees on my property and off to one side a pond that is fed by the brook on my property.  This gives me a great amount of birds - and a great amount of mosquitoes.  My challenge was to maintain the birds (that eat the mosquitoes) and yet be able to be outside without being dessert for the silly mosquitoes.  So, I have a three pronged approach. 
Mosquito Repellent
One, I sprinkle onion & garlic granules on my yard about every three weeks.  I had never seen the mosquitoes' reaction to the granules until this last weekend - they immediately left the area.  I hadn't even seen them but as soon as I sprinkled the granules on the area the fled.  YEAH!!!  The granules have a very strong odor for the first 12 hours or so, and then you don't smell anything.  A couple things to note - make sure you have a dry yard when you use the granules and make sure you don't water your yard for 48 hours (or that Mother Nature doesn't help) so that they have time to work.  Planting onions and garlic also help - but not as much as the granules which are 100% natural.  You have to reapply about every three weeks depending on how moist your area is - once you see (or feel) the first mosquito - reapply.  Another benefit from the granules (primarily for those of you in my neck of the woods) is that Armadillos, moles, and shrews do not like the scent either.  I order mine straight from the company, but I know it is available on Amazon.com

Two, I spray my eucalyptus oil / lemongrass oil mixture around all my doors and windows outside.  This creates a barrier and any bugs that cross it will die as both ingredients are natural pesticides.  If you have problems with aphids or other creepy crawlies in your garden, it works for the plants as well.  This needs to be reapplied about once a month through fall.

And finally, when I go outside to work, I always apply the eucalyptus oil / lemongrass oil mixture to my skin.  If I am outside all day long, I will reapply when I come in for a water / tea break.  I also refrain from eating bananas during the spring as the chemical reaction in your body is an invitation to mosquitoes to dip in for a taste. 

Happy Gardening... Blessings.  E

No comments:

Post a Comment