Monday, April 4, 2011

"An Itchy Mystery - Solved"

In the April, 2011 edition of Readers Digest, I found a very interesting article.  I wanted to get your feed back on it... As you know, I have horrid allergies... I think, actually, it is more a "sensitivity" than allergies.  Since I don't use medicines or chemicals - I am HYPER sensitive to their effects.  This is why this article caught my eye.

The article is written by Beth Dremer and in it she suggests that if you are allergic to certain types of spring things, you may also be sensitive to certain fruits.  Clifford W. Basset, MD, medical director of Allergy and Asthma Care of New York states, "The immune system sees a similarity between proteins in pollen and in these foods, and that riggers a reaction."

So, my question to you is this - do you have these sensitivities?  I don't, and I am curious if the general populous does or doesn't.

If you're allergic to grass, you might react to peaches, celery, tomatoes, melons, and oranges.  If you are allergic to birch pollen, you might react to kiwi, apples, pears, peaches, plums, coriander, fennel, parsley, celery, cherries, carrots, hazelnuts, and almonds. If you are allergic to ragweed, you may react to bananas, melons, and tomatoes.

Let me know... Blessings - E

1 comment:

  1. Tracie: I am allergic to grass and none of those bother me to eat. Although I don't care much for peaches and certain melons. What I find is that I am gluten intolerant and apple skins bother me (I will wash and peel mine-I believe it is all the pesticides on some apples). Fall, ragweed has always been my worst time. Yet, as I get older I find they have become year round and not so seasonal. That's me.....
    A: Interesting... you and I have similar allergies. Spring for me is pollen - mainly tree pollen, and fall is ragweed, mold, & mildew. You are probably either allergic to or sensitive to things inside the house as well. Make sure you air out your house several times a year - and dust well after having them open to remove any pollen and additional dust that has been brought in. It will remove the toxins from your house as well as many allergans.

    ReplyDelete