Saturday, March 12, 2011

Spring Angst

It started with an occasional cough, and progressed into post nasal drip and congestion.  The trees are blooming and flowers are out in Texas!  While it is my favorite time of the year... spring kills me for my allergies.  While the Yanks are still covered in snow... we in the South have welcomed spring completely!

Growing up I had allergies almost all year round.  Up until about eight years ago (when I embraced Naturopathy completely) I got Bronchitis every fall and usually was out sick for a full week.  Now, I am rarely sick - and only really have issues with my allergies in the fall (mold and mildew).  So... what changed? 

Actually, there were quite a number of things that changed.  I went from eating red meat, pork, chicken, and fish every day - at least once a day to eating primarily fish only once a week or so.  I worked out more, got more sunshine.  I ate more vegetables both raw and lightly steamed.  I paid more attention to WHAT I was eating - preservatives, artificial colors, artificial flavors.  I began taking Omega 3/6/9 daily.  And I also started drinking more water and green tea.  I also have removed all of the carpet in my home - I know that isn't usually a choice we all have, but it was a huge part of my year round allergy problem. 

My allergies were so bad that my doctor told me that I needed to completely close up my house through out the year.  What I didn't know at the time was that by closing up a house and running the AC / Heat year round you never remove the toxins from your home - and your home becomes more toxic than air in a smog filled city.  This is the reason I have recommended you open your home for several hours at least once a month.  Yes, you will be letting pollen and dust in, but more importantly you will be releasing the toxins from in your home - from your carpet, paint, and furniture, from your cleaning products, and from any other potentially dangerous things in your home.  DON'T EVER keep your home closed up for long periods of time. 

I have heard a lot of positive results with Acupuncture.  If you choose to go this route, make sure that you have found an experienced Acupuncturist. I have also heard of good results with Chiropractic adjustments.  Again, be careful whom you choose.  Both sciences have had a lot of bad press - but with the right professional, you will see a lot benefits. 

There are foods and herbs that also help lessen the sensitivity to the environment.  Garlic, echinecea, nettle, butterbur, and zinc are all herbs known to help fight allergies.  Foods that are high in Omega 3 (tuna, salmon, walnuts) help fight allergies.  Local honey has also been shown to reduce sensitivity with allergies, by ingesting honey made with local flowers you are basically ingesting small amounts to build up your resistance to the pollen.  Spicy foods help clear sinuses but don't really have any other benefit to allergies. 

This is from Mother Earth News - the link to the full post is below: Quercetin. A natural plant-derived compound called a bioflavonoid, quercetin helps stabilize mast cells and prevents them from releasing histamine. Quercetin also is a natural antioxidant that helps mop up molecules called free radicals that cause cell damage, which can lead to cancer. Citrus fruits, onions, apples, parsley, tea, tomatoes, broccoli, lettuce and wine are naturally high in quercetin, but allergy sufferers will most likely need to use supplements to build up enough of this compound to prevent attacks. The recommended dosage is about 1,000 milligrams a day, taken between meals. It’s best to start treatment six weeks before allergy season. Those with liver disease shouldn’t use quercetin, so please consult your doctor before using this or any other supplement — especially if you are pregnant or nursing.
There are also specific foods to stay away from when you are congested, primarily dairy and bread.  Both increase the production of mucus in both the head and chest. 

Again, I caution you - if you are going to use herbs, please read all the details about each before using so you understand the pros and cons of each.  Herbs can be dangerous, if you do not understand how to use them properly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment