Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Fresh Face

Everyone has different skin - and to try and give everyone specific directions here would take way too much time and I would probably miss someone along the way!  So, instead I will again point you to my favorite book on herbal recipes and point you in the direction of some good products to purchase, along with my daily regiment.

I wash my face at LEAST twice a day, and usually three.  When I first get up in the morning, I clean my face using a cotton ball and Neutrogena's Clean Pore Oil-Eliminating Astringent.  In the shower I wash my face with oatmeal soap, and wipe my face once more with Neutrogena and a cotton ball.  If I wear makeup during the day, I remove it as soon as i can with the Neutrogena.  And then I clean my face again before bed, again with the Neutrogena.  Please remember that I have very oily skin. 

So... soap.  When I was a child there were only 3 - 4 choices now we have HUNDREDS - and not all of them good.  READ YOUR LABELS!!!  There are artificial colors, perfumes, and other harmful things in even your soap.  You want to use something as natural as possible.  So... some good soap manufacturers - http://www.plantlife.net/ - 100% botanical ingredients, no preservatives, carcinogens, synthetics, or chemicals.  www.aubrey-organics.com/ - same as above - not only soap, but hair care products, makeup, pet care, and cleaning products.   http://www.iherb.com/ is my source for all my essential oils, they also have a good source of soaps.  Before you go out and order a bunch - go to a natural foods / health food store that carries soaps and take your nose.  What do you want from your shower or bath?  To relax?  To energize?  To feel sensual?  What?  Find the scents you like and record them.  Plantlife.net has samplers if you still aren't sure.  My favorite scent for an energizing / eye opening morning shower has mint or eucalyptus in it.  It is fresh, and bright, and has a cool, invigorating sensation.  For a calm restful bath it has ginger blooms - while it isn't heady floral, it is a soft musky floral scent.  I also love sandalwood and patchouli. 

Don't stop reading labels once you find your soap - next onto the shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, and anything else that touches your skin!  We aren't going to hit all of them since this is about your face - but the sites I listed above will help you find good products. 

Once I have a clean face, I use only Neutrogena products on my face.  My skin is very sensitive and no other seems to work well without causing rashes or breaking out.  I use a moisturizer and an eye moisturizer before using a light base.  Make sure with your makeup that you check for SPFs - and don't use any that have them.  If you are wondering why - go back to the post about sunshine and read.  I have heard many good things about the mineral makeup but that has all been about wear - not about safety.  Here are some things to read.. and I am certain there are health warnings about ANY makeup being used.  I am just here to educate and make you think.

Recommended reading: http://www.vivawoman.net/2008/02/21/do-mineral-makeup-pose-health-risks/
http://www.hospitalsoup.com/health-e-living/mineral-makeup-is-mineral-makeup-dangerous

My recommendation is to wear makeup as little as possible.  Get enough sun on your face to give you a light tan (if you are able).  Wear a hat when you are going to be in the sun for a while.  And keep your hands and face clean.  I use vinegar regularly to quickly clean my face - always using a cotton ball. 

If you are interested in creating your own natural beauty regiment you can find Rosemary's book on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Rosemary-Gladstars-Herbal-Recipes-Vibrant/dp/1603420789/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299556985&sr=8-1 

No comments:

Post a Comment