Friday, November 11, 2011

Making My Own Soap - How To Choose My Base?

A couple weeks ago I got an email from "Herb Companion" about handmade soaps.  I have such a hard time finding natural soaps that I like the texture and the scent, that I have decided that this weekend I will be trying to create my first batch of soap!

So, the first thing I need to do is figure out what a beginner like me will need to know.  I find that there are hot processes and cold processes.  In addition, there are glycerin bases, goats milk bases, lye bases, clear bases, and cloudy bases... ok... too much to process for a beginner I believe.  We are just going to start with a simple basic recipe.  But I do want to know what the differences are between all of these things so I know the path I want to take in improving my soap making abilities.

As a reminder - antibacterial soap is NOT a good thing.  We are beginning to see super bugs / viruses / bacteria due to the excessive use of antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers.  The best thing to keep away germs is to frequently wash your hands with soap and water. 

Neem Base - Neem is a natural antibacterial.  It is a resin from the bark of an evergreen tree native to Asia.  It is used primarily as a pest control, and a natural medicine to help heal skin problems, malaria, jaundice, bronchitis, diabetes, arthritis, intestinal parasites, among others. 


Aloe Vera Base - Aloe Vera is a well known desert plant that aids in the healing of burns, scratches, and the like.  Those suffering from skin rashes, and other topical challenges should consider using an aloe vera base in their soaps.  Honestly, we all should have a bar sitting around.

Find base: http://www.georgiabodyandbath.com/servlet/the-44711/aloe-vera-melt-and/detail

Cocoa Butter Base - Cocoa butter is a wonderful moisturizer.  If you have chronically dry skin (you may want to figure out why and correct your diet) this is a great choice for a base.  In addition, cocoa mass polyphenol (CMP) can suppress the immuno globulin (IgE).  In simple terms it means that cocoa butter naturally fights psoriasis, dermatitis, and other skin ailments.  Also remember that many of these bases have their own scent - when adding other essential oils to your base, you will want to find complimentary smells.

Find base: http://www.georgiabodyandbath.com/servlet/the-35841/cocoa-butter-melt-and/detail

Coconut Milk Base - Coconut Milk is high in antioxidants and is a wonderful moisturizer.  It is a natural antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral substance.  It is also rich in Vitamin E.  There are many good reasons to choose coconut milk as your base.  Coconut milk also has a calming effect on your skin - reducing rashes and other skin ailments.

Find base: http://www.georgiabodyandbath.com/servlet/the-54987/coconut-milk-melt-and/detail

Glycerin Base - This is the most popular base available.  In a later post (once I get going on my soap making adventure) I will provide the directions on how to make your bases, but I have heard that making clear base is extremely difficult, so we will leave that until another time.  Glycerin or glycol is a colorless or yellow sugar alcohol.  It is used for a whole host of things other than soap.  Glycerin's benefits on skin include moisturizing, healing (used on skin graft patients), makes skin more supple, aids in the life process of cells, reduces swelling and bruising, and protects skin against irritants.

Find base: http://www.georgiabodyandbath.com/servlet/the-35730/glycerin-melt-and/detail

Goat Milk Base - Goats milk has been used for centuries in the Mediterranean as a natural cleanser.  It is touted as being one of the best moisturizers and contains vitamins A and the B complex.  With the alpha-hydroxy acids in goats milk, you get rejuvenating properties for your skin while softening it.  Goats milk feeds the skin calcium, and allows the skin to find its natural PH levels.  This is my first choice for my first try at soap!

Find base: http://www.georgiabodyandbath.com/servlet/the-35732/goat-milk-melt-and/detail

Well... I have figured out my base... now tomorrow we will discuss scents... Blessings... E

No comments:

Post a Comment