Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thyroid or Iodine

I highly recommend that you do research before you go visit the doctor.  No one knows your body better than you do.  A doctor is trained to know how to put things together, but if you don't include the right symptoms, you have a high possibility of being diagnosed incorrectly.  Let me share an example..

Anemia, cold fingers and toes, weight gain, swollen fingers, hair loss, increased need for sugar.  Many people are diagnosed with either diabetes or hypothyroidism with these symptoms... yes tests come up positive.  BUT what questions should be asked? WHY.  What is causing these diseases?  Diabetes and Hypothyroidism are serious. 

I was really concerned when I started needing fruit several times a day and my hair started thinning.  I talked to several of my naturopathic contacts and they asked me the right questions.  Are your fingers and toes always cold?  Well, yes.  But I was raised in the north and got mild frostbite as a child - I thought that was the reason.  Are you gaining weight without adding food?  Uh huh... I am not as active as I was in Nebraska but it has been difficult to lose even with daily exercise.  Now I am curious... Why?

Iodine Deficiency.. wait, did you say IODINE?  Isn't that the reddish yellow stuff my mom put on cuts and scrapes as a kid?  Yes, one and the same.  And yes, iodine is an essential mineral.  I was SHOCKED by what I read.  Symptoms that I didn't even realize were symptoms were right there in front of me.  I am anemic have been for a very long time.  Once I started taking iodine supplements, my longtime symptoms started going away. 

So here are some statistics for you:
In the US, it’s estimated that one in seven women suffers from iodine deficiency.
— Caldwell, K., et al. 2005.
— Hollowell, J., et al. 1998.

1/3 of the world's population lives in iodine depleted locations

Women that are severely iodine deficient run the risk of having a child  born with "cretinism"

Breast cancer can be a result of iodine deficiency

Children that are iodine deficient run the risk of stunted growth, retardation, problems with speech, hearing, and movement

Iodine in the body helps regulate several major centers: thyroid, temperature, heart, breast, mental, and musculature

How do I know if I am iodine deficient?  There is a very quick and simple test that you can perform at home.  Go get that bottle of iodine for scrapes and cuts and put a 1" circle on the inside of your thigh or upper arm.  If the reddish yellow goes away w/in 30 minutes, you are iodine deficient.

The best foods that naturally contain iodine are saltwater fish, sea vegetables, and iodized sea salt.  Other foods with iodine include dairy products, eggs, radishes, onions, and watercress.  IF you are in an iodine deficient area (upper Midwest) your root vegetables will not be a viable option for you.  I always recommend consuming foods with the vitamins / minerals you need daily - but sometimes that isn't much of an option.  I take iodine supplements daily along with my omegas. 

For those of you taking Thyroid medication, if you are shown to be iodine deficient, I am told that you may be able to get off those meds within 30 days of going on the iodine supplements. 

Here are a couple good articles to read for more information:
http://www.womentowomen.com/hypothyroidism/iodinedeficiency-thyroidhealth.aspx
http://www.staytuned.ws/iodine.html
http://www.thyroid.org/patients/patient_brochures/iodine_deficiency.html

Happy healing!  E

2 comments:

  1. Q: im trying to keep up with your blog but it is getting away from me...how can I get it to send me updated info everyday?
    A: there are two options for you. You can either "follow" the blog (top left side of page) or if you have yahoo or google as your main page you can "connect" with the blog (side menu) that way! Thank you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found another very good link on Iodine deficiency and thyroid - both hyper and hypo... http://thyroid.about.com/od/newscontroversies/a/toomuchiodine.htm

    ReplyDelete