Thursday, February 10, 2011

Recommended Reading

I have been asked to provide some reading material for those of you that are really interested in Naturopathy.  I will provide both a book list and several websites / newsletters for you to follow.

Books
"The Wisdom of Menopause" - Dr. Christiane Northrup
 - This book actually has bits and pieces for everyone.  An AWESOME read with loads and loads of great information.  I am not a fan of her email chain - it is more about what you want to buy rather than what you want to know... I am always more interested in an education.  She is also on FB, if interested.

"The Good Carb Cookbook" - Sandra Woodruff
- This book has a lot of good info on the Glycemic Index.  Honestly, I haven't used many of the recipes but I typically cook asian, when given the opportunity.

"Healthy Healing" - Linda Page
- This is an AWESOME book.  Dr. Page has a fresh logical approach to natural medicine.  There is so much info in here, that it will take a long time before I absorb it all.  She is one the first references I turn to when I have a question.

"The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods" - Michael Murray
- Almost 1000 pages thick... excellent reference.

"Folk Medicine" - DC Jarvis
- This one goes back into old time medicine and is the reason I picked up this one!

"Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health" - Rosemary Gladstar
- This is probably my favorite book so far.. it is a tiny book packed with a big punch!  Lots of ideas for men, women, kids, mental ailments, skin care regiment, etc... LOVE IT!

"Water Magic" - Mary Muryn
- Some lovely recipes for aromatherapy baths

"The Healing Aromatherapy Bath" - Margo Valentine Lazzara
- Margo goes into a lot of detail on the how and why of aromatherapy and includes wonderful recipes.

"Herbal Remedies" - Andrew Chevalier
- My favorite book on herbs - I just wish it was bigger.  It has lots of pictures and gives multiple uses, the safeness of the herb and a lot of good information.

"The Way of Herbs" - Michael Tierra
- A requirement for school and a good reference material.

"The Complete Guide to Herbal Medicines" - Charles W Fetrow / Juan R Avila
- I was looking for some more detail for unusual herbs, and this was the most detailed one I could find.  No pretty pictures though and not a deep dive into each herb.

"The Healing Powers of Vinegar" - Cal Orey
- Vinegar has so many different uses and benefits.... it is staggering!  I wouldn't know where to start for you... get it...

"Guide to Intuitive Healing" - udith Orloff MD
- I am a very bohemian woman and think way outside the box when it comes to healing.  Everyone has the ability to heal themselves... this is a good start.

"Energy Medicine" - Donna Eden
- This woman is AMAZING.  I can't praise her enough.  I am an avid follower and believe completely in the power of energy healing.  I have seen it work.  She has her own website and teaches energy healing. I do subscribe to her newsletter.

"Natural Health, Natural Medicine" - Andrew Weil
- Dr Weil was one of the first Naturopaths I followed, but I have had some issues with several of the directives he has made.  Overall, he is good.  He has his own website, but I don't subscribe any longer to his newsletter.

Websites / Newsletters
Donna Eden - http://www.innersource.net/em/
Dr Weil - http://www.drweil.com/
The Herb Companion - http://www.herbcompanion.com/
Local Harvest - http://www.localharvest.org/
Conscious Media Network - http://www.cmn.tv/category/interviews/

No comments:

Post a Comment