Monday, June 20, 2011

What if there wasn't anymore?

One day a woman's husband died, and on that clear, cold morning, in the warmth of their bedroom, the wife was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't "anymore".  What she had grown to rely upon, expect, and depend upon was gone, never to return.  No more hugs, no more special moments to celebrate together, no more phone calls just to chat, no more "just one minute."

Sometimes, what we care about the most gets all used up and goes away, never to return before we can say “good-bye”, say "I love you."  Many times we get so busy with our every day lives that we forget about the importance of those we love - we don't mean to push them aside for these many little things - we don't mean to put money and things above them - we EXPECT that they will be there tomorrow and that TOMORROW we will enjoy that time together.  What happens when tomorrow never comes?

We need to make time for TODAY and those we love. So while we have it, it's best we love it, care for it, fix it when it's broken and heal it when it's sick. This is true for marriage.....And old cars... And children with bad report cards, and dogs with bad hips, and aging parents and grandparents.

What if you woke up tomorrow and all that you held dear was gone?  Your world changed forever - would you hold regrets for not saying "I love you" enough?  Life is important, like people we know who are special.. And so, we keep them close!

I had one of those moments in 2001.  Well, actually mine started in 1998.  My marriage was falling apart and life was changing faster than I was able to keep up.  In 2001 my ex-husband was killed on active duty.  We had been divorced for less than 18 months and while we had not parted on good terms, after living and loving for 13 years - I was DEEPLY affected.  We had both been looking to the future - not paying any attention to TODAY.  It changed me forever.

Today I live for what is here and now.  I tell my girls I love them every chance I get.  I celebrate life.  I don't live in the past or the future - that doesn't mean I don't have hopes, dreams, and goals - just that I pay more attention to what is happening today than what COULD BE.  I pray that you will live today because tomorrow is not promised.  Enjoy the beauty of time spent with those you love.  When was the last time you sat down with a cup of tea with your grandmother?  Helped your child with a science project?  Took a day to just LIVE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment